/ 20 May 2015 / 10 Comments
MY SUMMER CAPSULE WARDROBE WISH LIST
The summer is slowly creeping up on us and last week it dawned on me that I should be introducing my summer wardrobe in about a month's time! Around this time last season I already had a vision for the next capsule and was even starting to shop, but I have to be honest, I have only just begun thinking about the summer.
Why is that? Well, a) I'm really happy with my spring wardrobe and definitely haven't exhausted my options there yet,
b) it's still freaking cold here, and
c) I find summer hard to dress for.
So let's talk about that for a minute. I get hot easily but I also don't love bearing too much skin, so I prefer longer shorts, like mid-thigh long, which leads me to problem one: the majority of shorts I've seen in stores are either itty bitty "can't-bend-down-because-my-behind-will-show" short, or long culottes. And if I do see a good cut and length, chances are they're not in the colour I want, or have a loud print.
I also seem to own only 2 sleeveless tops. I always gravitate towards short sleeve tees and find they usually have more interesting designs and cuts, but this year I really need to find something sleeveless. Problem two: most of sleeveless tops are either made of polyester (summer=perspiration, polyester=death), or they look like rags. Like something you wear a couple times and then all it's good for is wiping spills off the floor.
Good sleeveless tops are hard to find but definitely not impossible. I like natural materials and especially so in the summer: cotton, linen, silk. One of the styles I have an eye on is sleeveless cotton shirt. Which leads me to the wish list above:
1. The top is from H&M and everything about it is right. Cotton? check. Understated pattern? check (and you can always tuck the bottom part of the shirt in.) Good colour? check. I can see it dressed up or down and so to me that's a great capsule wardrobe all rounder.
2. Beverly Hills sweater. I already own this - me and thousands of other girls - because this sweater is from Primark. It's pretty much the only Primark thing I own anymore (apart from two sports bras) and I was actually going to sell it, but I think it will be great for the summer and if anything should happen to it, it won't make too sad.
3. A lightweight scarf. A scarf is a must for me in the summer, for those reasons stated in the photo above and also to add some fun to outfits. This one is from John Lewis and I absolutely love the pattern. It looks like flowers at first but upon closer inspection you'll find it's actually synchronised swimmers in formation. Isn't it amazing?
4. Classic denim Levi's. Or any denim shorts. I own a pair and I love it except for it being quite the itty bitty kind. Still, I can't really imagine summer without them.
5. Lace up strappy sandals from New Look. Shoes, ah, this summer brings a plethora of amazing styles and it's really hard to pick just a few. I remember last year I was struggling a little to find the perfect pair of simple sandals, and this time I have to restrain myself from wanting them all. I'd opt for leather over man made, especially if you can find it for a comparable price.
6. Tevas. This is a brand that I know for their sturdy sandals that people wear on summer hikes. However, in the past few years they're really upped their style game and I am definitely lusting after the ones pictured. Teva original universal lux in sea fog. Absolutely love the shade of violet and I bet I'd love the comfort too. They're great sporty sandals but thanks to the new designs I can see myself wearing them with skirts and dresses too. They are the new birkenstocks, in my opinion.
So that's my wish list so far and I'm hoping I'll be able to afford parts of it soon. Are you thinking about your summer wardrobe already? What trend are you planning to adopt this year?
*Update 22 May: A dear reader, KD, recommends these shorts, if you're also looking for a longer and non-polyester version. Thank you!